Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Broken

Two weeks ago Ryan and I decided that we might as well take advantage of our newfound proximity to my parents and pay them a visit. It helped that Dad bribed us with an old set of Harvard Classics and free laundry, but mostly we wanted to have a fun weekend with family. Unfortunately our car had other plans. We made it as far as Tensed (I didn't know such a town even existed!) before the car decided that its alternator was tired and that it wanted a nap, so it turned itself off just in time for us to hit the first parking lot of the town. Balanced precariously on the edge of a certain curb in front of the "Circle H Saloon" I was able to get just enough of a cellphone signal to call Dad and AAA for some curteous roadside assistance. We actually did get a surprisingly good deal on towing for the 45 minute trip back to Moscow, but our weekend plans were thwarted. Determined not to let it get us down we opted for renting a movie (Shrek-2) and eating pizza. Unfortuantely Papa John's oven was broken, so after approximately fifteen minutes of waiting we were forced to go in search of other pizza, with eventual victory in the form of Dominoes.

It turns out that the car and the pizza oven weren't the only brakeable objects; after fencing competitively throuhgout highschool, I finally sustained my first fencing injury last Wednesday (with the exception of the time I kicked myself in the finger while stretching before a tournament...but that wasn't too serious after we got some ice on it...). I went in for a deep lunge and a few pops later I had a pulled hamstring and a strained knee. I've graduated to only one crutch by now, but probably have about a week left before I can walk normally again. I've noticed a few things now that I've been reduced to a snails pace: 1)Moscow has many, many hills and a comprable number of stairs, some of which would benifit from installing hand rails, 2) The biology department has quite a few funny cartoons on the walls in the hallways that I now have time to read as I pass by, and 3) there's a ginko tree just outside of the door that houses the elevator to the fourth floor of the biology department. It could have been years before I noticed that if I didn't change my route to increase elevator access. I love gingkos!

By now the car is fixed and I'm on my way to recovery, just in time for Fall to hit full force, nicely parralleling the cylce of the seasons and reminding me that I had better enjoy what's left of warmth and greenery while I can! To celebrate the last of the warm weather I think Ryan and I will make a second attempt at our Sandpoint visit, hopefully with a bit more success this time!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

There must be something bad about Tensed,the town where Julie's car quit. Returning late night from a Steelhead fishing trip to Hells Canyon several weeks after Julie's problem, we noticed flashing lights at the top of the hill on the north outskirts of the town. A very large moose had a very unfortunate run in with a very small car there and both lost. Lesson: be careful around Tensed!